‘Rational utilization of planet’s liquid hydrocarbon reserves’ world-class scientific center
In the framework of ‘Development of scientific, research and production cooperation’ federal project as part of ‘Science’ national project Kazan (Volga region) Federal University has become one of the main executors in foundation of the ‘Rational Utilization of Planet’s Liquid Hydrocarbon Reserves’ World-Class Scientific Center in the format of consortium on ecologically clean resource-saving energetics, efficient use of mineral and biological resources. The World-Class Scientific Center has been established as a structural unit of the Institute of Geology and Petroleum Technologies of KFU. Other members of the consortium are:
- Skolkovo Institute of Science and Technology;
- Ufa State Petroleum Technological University;
- National University of Oil and Gas “Gubkin University” (Gubkin University).
The main goal of the World-Class Scientific Center is research practice and development with the aim of providing the domestic economy with the environmentally friendly petroleum of low cost. In this regard, within the framework of the project, environmental-oriented, profit-proved and energy efficient technologies of prospecting, exploration and development of nonshale and challenged reserves will be implemented. The foundation of the ‘Rational Utilization of Planet’s Liquid Hydrocarbon Reserves’ World-Class Scientific Center will grant Russia an opportunity to become leader in the field of development and implementation of new technologies for oil and gas exploration and will make an enormous contribution into providing sustainability of the petroleum industry for the decades to come.
Main scientific activity areas of the Center:
- Studies of oil and gas accumulation basins using isotope geology and thermogeochronology methods, as well as the data of remote sensing and the assessment of the maturity of oil source strata; forecasting hydrocarbon reserves, assessing their availability for development, identifying the most perspective zones for development based on the use of cross-cutting technologies.
- Studies of hydro- gas-dynamic, geochemical and microbiological processes, as well as the state and evolution of reservoir structures in the course of development of large and giant oil-and-gas fields at the last stage, design and implementation of a new paradigm of their rational development (enhancing oil recovery factor up to 0.65-0.7, increasing recovered reserves by 1.5-2 times, decreasing extraction prime cost for these fields by 1.5-1.8 times);
- Development of ecologically friendly, both energetically and economically sustainable technologies of extraction, preparation, transportation and storage of oil in “old” oil-extracting regions and providing for the rational recovery of their reserves of complex structure (low-viscosity, viscous, super-viscous oil, oil of carbonate reservoirs, oil of tight and oil-source rocks) based on profound research of objects through contemporary physical and chemical methods with the use of cross-cutting technologies.